Sunday, March 27, 2016

The Book Thief

Title: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak
Blurb: By her brothers graveside, Liesel Meminger's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is  The Grave Digger's Handbook, left there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So it beginsa love affair with books and words, as Leisel, with the help of her accordion-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife library, wherever there are books to be found.
   But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up and closed down .

Pros



I loved everything. I loved it I loved it. I loved Rudy. I loved Max. I loved Leisel. I loved Rosa. I loved that it was told by Death. I just loved everything.
   After I finished this, I just put the book down and just sat and stared at the wall. I was so sad this left me in tears. The wording was beautiful.  The wording just flowed. It had a great structure and it left me in tears.

Liesel Meminger is a book thief. She steals from the mayor,from the road,  and  from celebrations and she is a criminal. She even joined a gang,with her partner in crime Rudy. Rudy. It's his fault I cried. How could anyone forget the lemon colored hair he had. Or the impish grin he carried. When he died the whole world fell apart. Even Death agrees.

This book should definetly be read. the characters are wonderful and beautiful.. Leisel is the foster child of Rosa and Hans Hubberman. Rosa with her bun is always complaining. She calls everyone a Samensch  and other bad German curses. She always hit Leisel with a wooden spoon when she was angry. Loud and proud she was. She was awesome. Hans Huberman was actually the very oppisite, He had a quite voice. Always carried a calm demeanor, which made everyone else calm. He was a accordion player, a painter, a papa, and the one who Leisel loved the most. To her, Papa was Leisel's savior.  Papa saved Leisel by teaching her how to read and write, This helped Leisel steal books.

Rudy Stiener was Leisel's best friend and admirer. To bad he died. Maybe, in heaven he felt Leisel kiss him. Maybe he cried because he wasn't alive to kiss her back. Alas, we will never know. But we did know that Rudy is one heck of a boy. He loved Jesse Owens. He painted himself black and ran the 100 meters. He was always there for Leisel even when he risked himself. And all he asked was a kiss.

There was a beautiful message shown throughout the book. Words can be beautiful and harsh. Leisel's love of books reminds me of people in the book community. If  we were in Leisel's situation I'm pretty sure we would do the same.


Con's 


There was nothing bad about this book it was really, really good.



Would I Recommend This? 


Of course I totally want people to read it! It has the perfect components for a good book. Be advised it is is really sad.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment