Monday, March 28, 2016

Red Queen Review

Title: Red Queen 
Author:Victoria Aveyard
Blurb: Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood- those with ref and those with silver. Mare and her family are lowly Reds, destined to serve the Silver elite whose supernatural abilities make them nearly gods. Mare steals what she can to help her family survive, but when her best friend is conscripted into the army she gambles everything to win his freedom. A twist of fate leads her to the royal palace itself, where, in front of the king and all his nobles. she discovers a power of her own- an ability she didn't know she had. Except her blood is Red. To hide this impossibility, the king forces her into the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver world, she risks her new position to aid the Scarlet Guard-the leaders of a Red rebellion. Her actions put into motion a deadly and violent dance,pitting prince against price-and Mare against her own heart... 






Pro's




Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard literally took my breath away. I know that you shouldn't really judge a book by it's cover, but you have to admit the cover is pretty cool.
   Red Queen takes place in the future where there are 2 types of people. Silvers and Reds. Silvers are high and mighty with super cool powers like being a nymph, a metal bender. Reds are your average lowly people who are disgusting and poor. Mare Barrow is a red. A lowly red. She is a stealer, someone who could never be more than just a lowly red. Her new job is going to change that. She has a job at the palace as a servant when somehow she has the power to create lightning, and electricity.
     It sounds pretty cool and it was. This had a sense of unpredictable. I did not see the ending coming. I was really shocked. Like OMG shocked. This book kept me guessing right on  til the end!!
 
   I'm so glad that the author didn't make Mare (main character) so perfect. In dystopian novels and such, it's like very single heroine is perfect. Which is cool, but no one is perfect! Mare has a lot of flaws, which is actually realistic. And she is a bit of a rebel. Which actually, a big rebel because she joined a revolution that sets out to destroy  the monarchy.
   
   Cal and Maven sound super cool. I will always like Maven, no matter how much times he tries to kill Mare and Cal. He actually reminds me of Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter. They are both insecure and have to do the bidding of someone superior than them. In Mavens case his power hungry mom. And in Draco's case Voldemort. I think that Maven doesn't want to be evil, he is just insecure.

Cal sound awesome. I don't think Mare and Cal would make a could couple. I'm actually on Team Marven (Otp name for Maven and Mare). Maven was actually a good guy before we found out he was evil. But Cal was big lifesaver and life changer in Mare's life. After all, because of him Mare was dragged into all this.

Cons 


There weren't many con's. I absolutely adored this book. But I just didn't like the idea of people  who have special powers like Mare. It would be cool for Mare to be the only one. But that's really not important.

 I would recommend this to anyone. Everyone will love it, in my opinion.

4 stars and I will most likely be reading the 2nd book Throne of Glass next!

 

2 comments:

  1. You're going to love Glass Sword! I just finished reading it and it starts right where Red queen ended with action from beginning to end. I'd love to hear what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WANT THAT BOOK SO BADLY!! I am on a book buying ban right now so I have to check in with the library. But if they don't have it I don't care I must buy that book!

      Delete