Saturday, February 20, 2016

His Fair Assassin by Robin LaFevers Book Review

Title: Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
Author: Robin LaFevers
Publishing Date: April 2012
Blurb:Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?
Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.
Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart.
Review
I didn't have that many high expectations for this book. If I did it would have exceeded it. I loved this book and I'm currently up to the third book of this series. I loved the plot and the wording was a 4.5. I did enjoy this book a lot.
   I found Ismae a little bit annoying and a little bit (just a bit,like 1%) dumb. I could already tell the traitor was... well don't want to spoil it!! I also found her a little disbelieving. She just arrived at a strange place and she seems to adapt well. I'm pretty sure if I was in her place I would freak out. I wouldn't trust anybody. And seem a little wary of people. But that's me.
  Another thing that seemed to be a con is that the book is predictable. You could tell from the moment Duval and Ismae meet there's gonna be some sparks. Or in there case, a lot of ( I mean a lot) of sparks. And Ismae is trying so hard to deny it. Which just proves, their gonna end up together. Also like I said finding out the traitor WAS SO EASY! 
  But there was also a lot of pros of course. The story line, the plotline, the plot. You know stuff around that. I instantly was captivated by the idea of the convents teaching the daughters of Death  teaching to be assassins. Like seriously that idea just blew my mind. This is a great book for feminist, I'm pretty sure they would be cheering Ismae on when she was kicking 15th century butt! I know I was. 
  I expected this book to be about an assassin nun falling in love with a french dude. Of course nun's aren't supposed to do that. Since, this was also about The french I expected a boring account on the war. Basically, a really boring historical-fiction. I hate HF it's so boring in my opinion. Of course this was something else.
   The thing that made me pick up this book was the cover. I know "don't judge a book by it's cover". But I did and I was pleased with the result. So the cover is this really pretty girl looking a  little lost, but determined. At first I was like "this is going to be a helpless princess story" Then I noticed the weird axe or bow thingy. And I was like : "This is not going to be a helpless princess story". The cover is also appealing.  

So in all me and Toshi give this Five Toshi's (or stars)







































No comments:

Post a Comment